The population is growing at a rapid rate. With the advancement of healthcare services, the geriatric population is also increasing. According to WHO, the number of people aged 60 and over will increase to 2.1 billion in 2050. Elderly care is cardinal for the physical, mental, and social well-being of the geriatric population. Elderly care can be made easy by following the mentioned simple tips.
- Diet -Ensure a healthy, nutritious diet in the right amount with good hydration levels. Good nutrition is crucial in managing many lifestyle diseases like diabetes and hypertension. A balanced diet also helps in the maintenance of healthy body weight. A good intake of calcium and Vitamin D is required to prevent osteoporosis in elderly women.
- Exercise-Make the elderly participate in at least 15-30 minutes of physical activity per day. Be it balance exercises, flexibility or stretching exercises or light resistance training, or simple aerobic exercise like walking. Chair exercises are significant for those elderly who have balance issues. Encourage the elderly to be physically active by choosing any form of exercise that they enjoy doing.
- Accident prevention measures- Put away loose rugs, carpets, and unstable furniture. Keep hallways well lit. Get handrails or grab bars fitted in washrooms for the assistance of the elderly. Declutter the space to provide free walk-around room for the elderly.
- Regular medical checkups or health screenings – are necessary for early detection of any medical condition, delirium, dementia, hearing loss, vision loss, dental issues, and balance problems. These are common in the elderly age group. Regular screening of breast cancer in females and prostate cancer in males is advised for the elderly.
- Incorporate short sessions of yoga, meditation, music, or relaxation techniques in the daily routine of the elderly to help them relax and combat any stress. Inspire them to spend some time in nature daily.
- Getting enough sleep is important. Promote healthy sleep habits and sleep routines. If there are any sleep problems like insomnia, talk to your doctor and get medical treatment.
- To provide support, stability and to promote independence in walking around- if required, seek mobility devices like canes, walkers, or wheelchairs.
- Play games with the elderly to keep their brain active and engaged. Games can be any board game or electronic games. Encourage the elderly to play crossword puzzles, Sudoku, read or write. Also, learning a new skill helps in improving intellectual capabilities.
- Recognize the signs and symptoms for urgent care like pain or pressure in the chest, altered consciousness levels, difficulty in swallowing, sudden weakness or tingling on one half of the body, and rapid weight loss.
- Last but not least, is to keep the elderly technologically updated so that they do not feel lonely and stay connected to their friends and family. It is of paramount importance in today’s times.
STAY ACTIVE! STAY HEALTHY!
Send your queries to firstname.lastname@example.org.