Stiff neck can result from injury to the muscle or ligament around the neck.
Neck stretches help in reducing tension in the neck muscles and in decreasing neck pain. These stretches also improve the flexibility of the neck musculature and improve neck posture.
- Chin to Chest-Bend your neck forward to bring your chin to your chest, hold for 10 seconds and repeat ten times.
- Lateral Flexion Stretch- Tilt your neck sideways as if trying to touch your shoulder with your ear until a stretch is felt on other side of the neck. Hold for 10 seconds and repeat ten times on each side.
- Backward Bending of the Neck- While keeping your shoulders still, bend your neck backwards by looking upward. Hold the stretch for 10 seconds and repeat ten times.
- Turning your neck side to side- From the neutral position of the neck, gradually turn your head to the right as far as you can. Hold the stretch for 10 seconds and return to starting position. Repeat similarly on left side. Do ten repetitions on each side.
- Upper Trapezius Stretch-Start by placing your right arm behind your back. Grab it with your left hand and pull it in the direction of your left foot. Now tilt your left ear toward your left shoulder, and you will feel the stretch on your right Upper Trapezius. Hold for 10-15seconds and repeat five times on each side.
- Levator Scapulae Stretch-Sit upright on a chair and grab the bottom of the chair with your hand on the affected side. Now rotate the head about 45 degrees to the unaffected side and tilt the chin down as if trying to see in your shirt’s upper pocket. You will feel the stretch on the back of the neck on the affected side. To increase the stretch further, place your unaffected side hand on the back of the head and pull down gently. Hold this stretch for 10-15 seconds. Repeat 5-10 times and repeat on both sides.
- Shoulder Retractions-With your arms by your side, pull your shoulders back by squeezing your shoulder blades together. Hold this stretch for five seconds and repeat 5 times.
Try these easy to do neck stretches and get relief from stiff neck.
STAY INFORMED! STAY HEALTHY!
Send your queries to email@example.com.