HIIT workout, also known as High-Intensity Interval Training, is a kind of training that involves short bursts of high-intensity training alternating with less intense recovery periods.
How to do a HIIT Workout?
- HIIT workout is flexible. There are several ways to do a HIIT workout. It can be done without equipment or with equipment, the way you like it.
- There are endless options to choose the type of movement or exercise that you want to incorporate in your workout. Choose exercise involving larger muscle groups like push-ups, planks, side planks, mountain climbers, jump rope, running, squats, jump squats, high knees, lunges, sit-ups, burpees, jumping jacks, and any plyometrics.
- You can work with light weights as it is an intense workout. You can also use a medicine ball.
- You can cycle through a circuit of different exercises for your HIIT workout, or stick to one or two for all of your reps. Because of the variety of movements involved, you will never get bored of a HIIT workout. It is versatile.
- An example of a HIIT workout can be like 30 seconds Planks, 30 seconds Squats followed by a 1-minute walk. Then 30 seconds push-ups, 30 seconds mountain climbers followed by a 1-minute walk. This whole circuit can be repeated for 10-20 minutes. It should include warm-up and cool-down sessions that go without saying.
Frequency and Duration of HIIT Workout
- Determining the workout: rest ratio is the foremost thing for a HIIT workout. Usual recommendations for the workout: rest ratio is 1:2 for physically active people like you run for 30 seconds and then walk for a minute, and this cycle can be repeated for 10-20 minutes. For beginners, this ratio can be 1:4, and for more physically fit people, it can be 1:1. So, this ratio of workout to rest depends a lot on your physical fitness and activity levels.
- HIIT workout should be done 2-3 times a week. Your body requires about 24 hours gap between two HIIT workouts to allow for recovery.
- Because of its high-intensity nature, a HIIT workout of 10-20 minutes is sufficient for a maximum of 30 minutes. It is less time-consuming. Maximal significant benefits can be achieved with 30 minutes of HIIT workout.
Benefits of HIIT Workout
- HIIT workout helps in burning more calories as the higher metabolism rate continues even after the workout session. It raises your resting metabolism. It is known as EPOC, Excess post-exercise oxygen consumption. EPOC occurs when your body burns more calories healing the wear and tear from an intense workout. Besides this, the HIIT workout improves cardio health as the workout is done at a higher heart rate, about 80% of the maximum heart rate. HIIT workout pushes you to an anaerobic zone, where you feel you can not breathe. Studies have shown that HIIT workout helps in the regulation of blood pressure and sugar. HIIT workout improves muscular endurance as muscles do not get much rest.
- HIIT workout helps in achieving overall fitness. However, because of its intense nature, it is not recommended for those who are starting an exercise regime. It is also recommended to get your cardiovascular assessment done by a doctor before commencing High-Intensity Interval Training.
HIIT is a well-researched efficient way of doing exercise. Give it a try to experience it. Who is ready for a HIIT workout?
STAY HEALTHY AND FEEL GREAT!
Send your queries to email@example.com.