With the outbreak of coronavirus(COVID-19), Schools are closed and children are forced to stay indoors. They are spending more and more time on screen. As we all know that kids have tremendous energy that needs to be utilized properly and being physically active or getting involved in exercise is one such channel to use their energy. In the light of COVID-19 pandemic, the importance of exercises for children has increased manifold, especially to built up immunity. In addition, being physically active for 30 -40 minutes is of utmost importance for the growth and development of children. But in the current scenario staying active indoors is very challenging. So here is a list of exercises that can be done by children for their physical activeness. These are easy to do and fun and have measurable benefits. I am sure your kids will love doing them. Give it a try, and you will be a happy parent.
- Animal walk-Hop like a frog and walk like a bear on all fours.
- Obstacle course– Jump over small obstacles like cushions or cones or ropes; hop from cone to cone, crawling like military commandos, under the table and chairs.
- Jumping jacks- Easy and fun to do for kids. It becomes more entertaining, if done with music. It’s a good cardio workout for children.
- Throw and catch a ball of different sizes and weights, at different distances and different angles. Children, irrespective of their age, love playing with balls. Make fun play a good workout for them.
- Walking variations– Walk on a straight line, walk in a big circle, walk in figure of eight, walking on heels, walking on toes and walking with eyes closed.
- Step up and step down– If you have a couple of stairs in the house, use them or alternatively you can use a low height stool. Make the children step up and down the stair or stool. Children will love it.
- Headstand– Don’t be surprised, yes kids can do it easily with your help. Initially they can do it alongside a wall, taking its support. Parents can also lend a helping hand in positioning them and be around. Let them hold the position for 10-30 seconds to start with and come down gradually out of the position whenever they want. Let them lie down on their back for a minute after headstand. Do not stand or sit up immediately after headstand.
- Skipping rope– It’s a perfect exercise to make their heart pound. Start with 30seconds to 1min and try to progress to skipping for 5 minutes. Let children take as many breaks as they want. Make it fun, parents should also do it along with their children.
- Bike ride/ bicycling.
- Dance your heart out- You need not be a perfect dancer, just play the music and do some crazy moves and enjoy exercising with your children.
Inculcating the habit of being physically active will also be very helpful for children in the long run. So go ahead and make your children do these easy exercises.
STAY ACTIVE! STAY HEALTHY! MAKE EXERCISE FUN!
Send your queries to email@example.com