Proper posture is crucial for good body mechanics. It helps in preventing injuries and pain due to faulty biomechanics. Good posture reduces the unwanted stress on the joints, ligaments, and muscles. It reduces the occurrence of muscle tightness, joint pain, and fatigue. It helps in keeping wear and tear changes like osteoarthritis at bay. The following exercises will help you in improving your body posture.
- CHIN TUCKS/NECK RETRACTION-Stand with feet shoulder-width apart and upper back pressed against a wall. Now pull the head back with the chin tucked so that the head touches the wall. Hold for 10 seconds and repeat ten times.
- SHOULDER BLADE SQUEEZE-Stand with arms by your side and pull your shoulders back by squeezing your shoulder blades together. Hold this stretch for five seconds and repeat it five times.
- WALL ANGLES-Stand with your back flat against a wall. Now, move your arms out to create a T-shape against the wall. Then bend your elbows at an angle of 90 degrees. Lastly, move your arms up and down while lying flat against the wall. Repeat ten times.
- COBRA POSE OF YOGA-Lie down on your belly with your hands beneath your shoulders. Now lift your chest off the ground while your forearms are still touching the ground. Hold for 10 seconds and return to starting position. Repeat five times.
- BRIDGING-Start with supine lying with the knees flexed together and pointing towards the ceiling, arms by your side with palms facing down. Inhale and push through your heels, and lift your lower back and hips so that the whole body from knees to shoulder is aligned in a slanting line. Your body must be resting on your upper back and shoulders. Hold for 10-15 seconds and repeat ten times.
- RESISTANCE BAND PULL-APART– Lift your arms straight forward in front of you till shoulder level. Grab each end of the resistance band in your hands, shoulder-width apart. Pull the resistance band apart as far as you can, hold for 5 seconds and return to starting position. Repeat ten times.
- CAT AND COW EXERCISES-Go on to your hands and knees, keeping your shoulders over your hands and your knees spaced hip-width apart. Arch and hollow your back alternately, repeat 10-15 times.
- BIRD-DOG EXERCISE- Get on all fours. Place your hands shoulder-width apart directly under your shoulders. Simultaneously straighten and raise your left leg and right arm, keeping your pelvis and shoulders in a neutral position. Hold for 5-10 seconds and go back to the starting position. Repeat five times on each side.
STAY HEALTHY! STAY FIT!