Headaches are of numerous types depending upon the causative factor and presentation. It is prevalent in various forms.
A headache commonly occurs due to the involvement of neural, vascular, and muscular structures of the head and neck. It can also result from some chemical activity in the brain.
Headache can originate from the following causes-
- Some headaches erupt from allergies to certain foods or strong odors.
- Stress is one of the leading causes of tension type headaches.
- Poor posture of the head and neck often lead to tension headache.
- Sinus infection-infection of the sinuses leads to pain in the cheekbone, forehead, and nose bridge. Sinuses become inflamed and swollen, which leads to headaches.
- Changes in sleep pattern especially sleep deprivation.
- Dehydration or hunger.
- Hormone fluctuations are also one of the causative factors of headaches. Some females experience headaches during menstrual periods, pregnancy, and menopause due to changes in hormone levels.
- Medication overuse- It results due to the wean-off effect of medications. It occurs when one takes pain killer medication for headaches for more than ten days in a month. Every time this happens, one needs a strong dose of medicine for relief.
- Genetics also has a role. Especially in migraine that tends to run in the family.
- Secondary headaches are due to some underlying diseases like flu, venous thrombosis, coronavirus, dental issues, brain tumors, trigeminal neuralgia, and many others.
Treatment of headaches solely depends on identifying the cause. So, it is crucial to document the pattern and characteristics of the headache.
STAY HEALTHY! STAY FIT!