Tension Headache as the name suggest results from tension and stress and is usually felt as heaviness or tightness around forehead, head and back of the neck. Pain is felt on both sides of the head and is associated with aching and tight neck and shoulder muscles. It usually worsens as the day progresses. It is the most common type of headache.
It can result from tiredness, faulty posture, physical or mental stress and sleep deprivation.
Role of exercise- Exercise releases tension in the neck and shoulder muscles. Also, the release of endorphin hormones with exercise helps in alleviating the pain.
- Neck Stretches
- Tilt your head on to the right side and try to touch your ear to the right shoulder, hold it there for 30 sec and repeat 10 times. Similarly, do it on your left side.
- Touch your chin to the sternum, hold it for 30 seconds, repeat 10 times.
- Try to look behind your right shoulder, hold it there for 30 sec, 10 repetitions. Similarly, repeat on the left side.
- Extend your neck back and hold it for 30 sec, 10 reps.
- Isometric exercises of the neck-Place your hand on your forehead and try to touch your chin down while your hand stops it, hold for 5-10 sec, repeat 10 times.
- **Don’t push too hard and there should be no resultant movement**
- In the same way, place your hand behind your head and push on to your hand, then place hand on the right side of the head and then left side of the head and repeat 10 times on each side.
- Shoulder stretches- shoulder shrugs, shoulder rotations in both clockwise and anti-clockwise direction, shoulder squeezes so that both scapula try to touch each other.
- Strengthening exercises- Head lifts from prone lying, scapular retraction exercises.
- Hot packs- on neck and shoulder.
- Gently massage the taut muscles of the neck and shoulder and on forehead.
- Postural Correction- Maintain neutral position of the neck, pull your shoulders back and down.
- Relaxation techniques- Deep breathing exercises, meditation, yoga and taking time out for pleasurable activities like dancing, listening to music and playing a leisure sport does help.
Do the above mentioned exercises, get adequate sleep and say bye bye to your tension headache.
Send your queries to email@example.com